Friday, September 30, 2011

Lady Gag

Oh, wait, isn't it Gaga?

Let's just talk about her music for a minute.  It's catchy pop, which is totally fine with me, as long as  its good, which Gaga's music is.  So whenever I hear a tune by her on the radio, or playing from my iPod, I really do just--want to dance.  

I'm willing to overlook my doubts about her sanity and intelligence when I hear her mispronounce words (romance) or say her own name over and over (SO over the narcissist).  I'm even willing to ignore how eerily similar her musical style and physical appearance is to Madonna.  

But...here is my problem with Gaga.  

She acts like a complete weirdo (dresses in bizarre clothes, has horns inserted into her forehead, calls her fans monsters, becomes a dude by night...you get the picture here), yet her music is unexpectedly--

NORMAL.





The music Gaga makes is so mainstream and pop-esque that I often wonder why she goes through all the trouble of acting like a person ten seconds away from being committed.  I get it, she wants to make a statement, but she is a musician, right?  Wouldn't it make more sense to make a statement with her albums?  Imagine how good it would be if she put all that effort into her music instead of her clothes and make-up.

I wonder-if someone like Britney Spears made Gaga-like music, would anyone pay more attention to her?  When it comes to music, I don't think so.  The music is still good, the only difference is-no one would be saying what a freak she is while they are entranced by her creepy onstage performances.

To sum it all up:  I don't appreciate the lack of correlation between Gaga's unique (if you can call it that) style and her music, which conforms so well to the other catchy material heard on mainstream radio.

I mean, what does that really go to show, anyway?   That musicians are attention whores, or that they are "trying to make a statement"?  Either way, they are selling their music because they are being weird.  It may be good, but without them acting like a bunch of crazies, people would treat it just like any other song on the radio.  

All you have to do to realize this is close your eyes, turn off the TV, and listen.

What's so wrong with selling music-just music?  Why is that no longer an option for some?  I understand you have to portray a certain image to grab some interest, or to complement your musical style.  After all, no one will buy an album from a dirty bum or nonchalant a**hole, but I don't think the image should be your MAIN selling point.  

If music isn't the main focus, then there is no longer a musician.  You have an artist, an actress, a model.  And there is nothing wrong with that, but please people, don't claim to be a music artist and then sell me your image instead of your song.

I mean, I tune in to the radio to listen to music, not see your rotting meat dress.


         
How bad do you think it smelled after an hour?

                                         




No comments:

Post a Comment