Friday, September 30, 2011

The Green Lantern-Enjoyable?

I refuse to lie to myself-or anyone else-and say this movie was good.


Yes, yes, I know everyone loves Ryan Reynolds.  In fact, I love Ryan Reynolds.  But just because someone is smoking hot, a seemingly good guy, and does plenty of rom-coms that bolster your belief they are either a good actor or everything they do is good, doesn't mean either is true.


To put it plainly-The Green Lantern sucked.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Sinestro and Ryan Reynolds (of course).  But it sucked.


The thing is, the people involved in making this movie somehow thought it was okay to cram ten thousand years of information into a ninety minute movie.  Instead of doing that, maybe leave out the last half and make it into a trilogy.  Don't get me wrong, only a half-wit wouldn't have been able to follow, but  it was like watching a flip book.  I couldn't take my eyes off the images that flew by in sixty seconds or less.


NEXT.  One of the things that bothered me most was the fact that the evil scientist's dad looked the same age as him.  How does that make sense?  Did the dad have the kid at age ten?  I don't think so.  Bad casting call, people.


ALSO-who else thought the love story was totally unnecessary?  All I kept thinking was:  when am I going to see Green Lantern kicking someone's ass again?  Besides-there wasn't enough development in their relationship to make me care if they were or weren't together.  All I got from the love crap was this:  he irritates her, he likes her, he saves her life, she likes him again.  I wanted to punch her out of the movie.


Okay, this one is major-I'm pretty sure all they did to make the giant monster was photoshop a giant bowl of chocolate spaghetti.  Was that supposed to be scary?  I got hungry everytime they showed it.  But, I do have to say-it was pretty cool when Ryan Reynolds punched it in the face.


What made me most mad about this movie was how the coolest character (Abin Sur) was dead after the first ten minutes.  I liked him so much in such  a short span of time, which  made me wonder-why couldn't they pull that off with the other characters?  


My final conclusion:  Green Lantern was enjoyable at best, but only because they cast a good-looking and lovable guy for the main character, and a beautiful young woman as his love interest.  


The rest was like Grapenuts-too damn condensed for its own good.





No comments:

Post a Comment