Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Drive.

Let's talk about my favorite movie of the year-hands down.


Drive had all the basic elements a movie needs in order to entertain a human being, but oddly enough, there are too few of these elements in most movies.  You know, the necessary components that make the movie worth the $20 you pay to see it:


A plot (you'd be surprised at how many current films lack this).
Good actors (not to name anyone specific but-*cough Kristen Stewart cough*-sorry, where were we?)
Unpredictability (no one wants to know the end after the first five minutes)
Cinematography (bad directing can ruin the best script in the world)
Music (we shouldn't be listening to Mexican polka during a car chase)




What made me so happy about Drive was how all of these elements came together.  The neo noir film, as most movie critics are calling it, was so well developed that it made me almost forget that bad movies exist. 


Take Drive's love story, for instance.  What made it so compelling for me was the tension created between two people who conveyed their feelings using only their body language.  That's right, people.  Driver has less than twenty lines in this movie.  How can you complain about a man who barely speaks?

And he doesn't speak right on through the darker side of LA with a cool and controlled demeanor-something I hear is similar to a little known actor called James Dean.  

I should voice a warning, however:  this movie is not for the faint of heart, so if you don't like gore, beware.  

But if you have a higher appreciation for the artistic side of directing, and you don't mind long, drawn out and tension-building silences, then this is the movie for you.  Not many actors (or people) can have a conversation or express emotion without saying anything, but Ryan did it.  


Right now he is saying "kiss me."





I don't want to give too much away, because I'd rather have everyone see it and take in all the glory that is Ryan Gosling post-Notebook.

I drive.  And smolder.

I've forgiven him for that blasphemous piece of Nicholas Spark's crap, and its all because of Drive.  







No comments:

Post a Comment