Friday, December 30, 2011

Dragon Tattoo

Hey everyone, the Swedes made a movie that's really good!  I don't can't-er, I mean-I don't want to read the subtitles, so let's go ahead and remake that two years from now.


2011


2009






































Okay, I have to admit it-the American remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is good.  But the sad part is, no movie should have to be victim to the audience incessantly comparing it to its predecessor.  


"The original didn't do it that way..."
"The new one changed the story..."
"The other actress didn't look like that..."


Of course this is going to happen when its decided that the remake should be released TWO YEARS after the original.  I'm assuming the directors thought no one in America watches foreign films...


BUT I DO!


It's obviously a matter of opinion, and since both movies are so close to each other in profit and positive reviews, I'm going to have to hand the win over to the orinal director.  They were first in making the film, BUT I have more reasons.


The main character in the original, Lisbeth, is ten times more of a badass than the new Lisbeth.  I don't want to see a wimpy victim cowering before anyone she comes across, I want to see a defiant, strong woman face her attackers with courage.  Also, it was slightly upsetting that the new dragon tat girl wore her hair up once.  The rest of the time it looked greasy, unwashed, unkempt.  I mean, come on, if you're going to be all those things, at least style it a little bit.  


Not only that, the new movie decided to cut all the connections that the original developed.  Characters that were completely unrelated in the newer Dragon Tattoo movie are actually more deeply connected than you know in the original.  Was this the director's way of making it "different"?  Bad call.  


Those are some of my complaints.  I still think both movies are good, but Noomi Rapace undoubtedly rocks a mohawk better than Rooney...


Rebel to the left, introverted wuss to the right.











No comments:

Post a Comment